Listed below is our most up to date information on the wide range of services across Lewisham that can support you if you are going through financial hardship in Lewisham.
You can also download/print the information below here: Financial Hardship – Factsheet
Lewisham Foodbank provides food and some household items for households going through financial crisis who cannot afford food and other vital household items. They do not provide long-term support.
- Open Monday – Friday with collection points throughout the borough, full list of times and locations here: https://lewisham.foodbank.org.uk/locations/
- Provide approximately 3-4 days of food for a household
- Can cater for a variety of dietary requirements
- Maximum of 6 parcels in a 6-month period. Once it has been 6 months from a parcel, a new one will be released
- There is a financial advisor at every collection point, who can support you in finding solutions to a financial crisis, as well as potentially accessing other vouchers and grant schemes to help you
- Some collection points also have employment advisors, who can help you with a wide-range of support to find employment, and energy advisors, who can support you to keep your energy bills down
- You must have a voucher for your parcel before attending the collection. Please call Community Connections Lewisham a few days in advance of your collection on 0330 058 3464 so we can issue you a voucher.
Website: www.lewisham.foodbank.org.uk/ Tel: 07938 071854
Other Low-Cost and Free Food Sources: Lewisham Local List
Lewisham Local have created a list of other places you can find low-cost or free food throughout Lewisham
- Some are for short-term financial crisis, others are for longer-term use and provide a great way to access groceries at a much lower cost
- The list updates every few months, so do get in touch with a location before visiting to ensure it is still running the same services
Website: www.lewishamlocal.com/ Tel: 0208 488 9224
Lewisham Warm Hubs
- Community groups are coming together to offer warm spaces where people can pop in free of charge. All welcomes are currently different, some may be providing hot drinks, others may be providing hot food, others may be providing social activities and additional support.
- Check the Warm Welcomes map to find your nearest space and get more information. Please check each listing for an overview of opening times and services provided. Other terms also being used include: Winter Welcomes, Warm Spaces – https://www.lewishamlocal.com/lewisham-warm-spaces/
Lewisham Council’s libraries are also open as Warm Welcomes. These are on the Council’s website to find your nearest library and see their opening times – https://lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/libraries
Lewisham Donation Hub
A local volunteer-led organisation that supports people experiencing hardship with acquiring food and other vital household items
- They provide a wide range of general items from 10am to 3pm, Tuesday to Thursday
- Their usual weekly timetable is as follows:
- General support (new visitors):
- 10am – 3pm Tuesday
- 10am – 12pm Wednesday
- 10am – 12pm Thursday
- General support (return visitors):
- 12pm – 3pm Wednesday
- 12pm – 3pm Thursday
- Food support:
- 11am – 2:30pm Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
- Donation day (no collections):
- 1pm – 4pm, every Sunday
- Please check the Lewisham Donation Hub website in the morning before you visit, as they often need to change their timings and what is available to collect based on weather and volunteer numbers: https://lewishamdonationhub.org/
- For larger item requests like furniture, white goods etc, you can send your request through via their social media pages: Facebook @lewishamdonationhub or Instagram @Lewishamdonationhub and they will always try their best to source these items, and inform you whether your request has been met.
- General support (new visitors):
Worried About Money leaflet
- An online leaflet where you can click-through your specific situation, and then will be provided a list of services that can support you
- Link to the online leaflet – https://www.worryingaboutmoney.co.uk/lewisham
- Community Connections Lewisham can provide you with a paper copy of this leaflet on request
South London Healthy Homes
Provides information and advice to help people manage their energy bills and keep their home warm and safe. Community Connections Lewisham can make a referral on your behalf, or you can contact them yourself to discuss your situation
- Will have an initial phone conversation to talk to you about your situation and what advice they can provide
- May be able to provide cost-saving items such as more energy efficient lightbulbs, and can make suggestions for any discount schemes you may be entitled to apply for
- In certain cases they can visit homes and make suggestions on home improvements that could make your home more energy efficient, and how they can support you in accessing these
- In certain cases they can support with accessing fuel vouchers when a person is in crisis
website: www.cact.org.uk/swtw / Tel: 0808 169 1779
Little Village is like a food bank, but for clothes, toys and equipment for babies and children up to the age of 5.
- A full list of what is available from Little Village can be found here: https://littlevillagehq.org/make-a-referral/
- If you’d like to discuss a referral to Little Village, please call Community Connections Lewisham who can make a referral on your behalf
- Little Village keep a list of further organisations who can support families here: https://littlevillagehq.org/family-support-resources/
Healthy Start Vouchers
If you’re more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk.
If you’re eligible, you’ll be sent a Healthy Start card with money on it that you can use in some UK shops. We’ll add your benefit onto this card every 4 weeks.
You can use your card to buy:
- plain liquid cow’s milk
- fresh, frozen, and tinned fruit and vegetables
- fresh, dried, and tinned pulses
- infant formula milk based on cow’s milk
You can also use your card to collect:
- Healthy Start vitamins – these support you during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- vitamin drops for babies and young children – these are suitable from birth to 4 years old
You can apply for the Healthy Start Vouchers here: https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/apply-for-healthy-start/