Below is our most up to date list of groups and services in Lewisham that can provide support with financial hardship. All of these are free unless stated otherwise.
For further details and support please call us on 0330 0583 464, open 9:30am-16:30pm Monday to Friday (open from 2-4pm on Thursdays).
You can also download/print the information below here: Financial Hardship – Factsheet
Support with Accessing Food
Lewisham Trussell Trust Foodbank
Provides food and some household items for households going through financial crisis who cannot afford food and other vital household items. They do not provide long-term support.
Open Monday – Friday with collection points throughout the borough, full list of times and locations here: https://lewisham.foodbank.org.uk/locations/
- Provide approximately 3-4 days of food for a household
- Can cater for a variety of dietary requirements
- Maximum of 6 parcels in a 6-month period. Once it has been 6 months from a parcel, a new one will be released
- There is a financial advisor at every collection point, who can support you in finding solutions to a financial crisis, as well as potentially accessing other vouchers and grant schemes to help you
- Some collection points also have employment advisors, who can help you with a wide-range of support to find employment, and energy advisors, who can support you to keep your energy bills down
- You must have a voucher for your parcel before attending the collection. You can order these vouchers in advance through the following options:
- Help Through Hardship – 0808 2082138
- Advice Lewisham – 0800 231 5453
- Community Connections Lewisham – 0330 058 3464 – only available as part of a conversation around other support options
- If you’re unsure of where to access a voucher, you can speak direct to the Foodbank for support.
Tel: 07938 071854
Lewisham Local: other Low-Cost and Free Food Sources
- Lewisham Local have created a list of other places you can find low-cost or free food throughout Lewisham
- Some are for short-term financial crisis, others are for longer-term use and the pantry and social supermarket options provide a great way to access groceries at a much lower cost
- The list updates every few months, so do get in touch with a location before visiting to ensure it is still running the same services
- Link to the list – https://www.lewishamlocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/October-2022-Printable-leaflet-where-to-get-free-food-Lewisham-Local.pdf
Tel: 0208 488 9224
Lewisham Donation Hub
- A local volunteer-led organisation that supports people experiencing hardship with acquiring food and other vital household items
- They provide a wide range of general items from 10am to 3pm, Tuesday to Thursday
- Currently limited to one visit per week for clients
- Their usual weekly timetable is as follows:
- General support (new visitors):
- 10am – 3pm Tuesday
- 10am – 12pm Wednesday
- 10am – 12pm Thursday
- General support (return visitors):
- 12pm – 3pm Wednesday
- 12pm – 3pm Thursday
- Food support:
- 11am – 2pm Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
- Donation day (no collections):
- 1pm – 4pm, every Sunday
- Please check the Lewisham Donation Hub website in the morning before you visit, as they often need to change their timings and what is available to collect based on weather and volunteer numbers: https://lewishamdonationhub.org/
- For larger item requests like furniture, white goods etc, you can send your request through via their social media pages: Facebook @lewishamdonationhub or Instagram @Lewishamdonationhub and they will always try their best to source these items, and inform you whether your request has been met.
- General support (new visitors):
Local Support Services
Worried about money leaflet
- An online leaflet where you can click-through your specific situation, and then will be provided a list of services that can support you. Community Connections Lewisham or Lewisham Local can provide you with a paper copy of this leaflet on request.
South London Healthy Homes
Provides information and advice to help people manage their energy bills and keep their home warm and safe. Community Connections Lewisham can make a referral on your behalf, or you can contact them yourself to discuss your situation. South London Healthy Homes will be able to refer you on to the organisation who is best placed to help you, most likely South East London Community Energy.
- Will have an initial phone conversation to talk to you about your situation and what advice they can provide
- May be able to provide cost-saving items such as more energy efficient lightbulbs, and can make suggestions for any discount schemes you may be entitled to apply for
- In certain cases they can visit homes and make suggestions on home improvements that could make your home more energy efficient, and how they can support you in accessing these
- In certain cases they can support with accessing fuel vouchers when a person is in crisis.
Tel: 0808 169 1779
Advice Lewisham supports with benefits reviews and applications, form filling, liaising with the DWP and debt advice.
You will need to call them to speak to them about the support you are looking for. They will then decide how best they can help you with it, which may involve face to face support, or for older adults, a home visit.
If they can’t help, they will try to point you in the direction of an organisation who can.
They are open Monday – Thursday between 9:00am – 12:30pm and 1:30pm – 5pm.
Tel: 0800 231 5453
Support for Families
Little Village is like a food bank, but for clothes, toys and equipment for babies and children up to the age of 5.
- A full list of what is available from Little Village can be found here: https://littlevillagehq.org/make-a-referral/
- If you’d like to discuss a referral to Little Village, please call Community Connections Lewisham who can make a referral on your behalf
- Little Village keep a list of further organisations who can support families here: https://littlevillagehq.org/family-support-resources/
Healthy Start Vouchers
If you’re more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk.
If you’re eligible, you’ll be sent a Healthy Start card with money on it that you can use in some UK shops. We’ll add your benefit onto this card every 4 weeks.
You can use your card to buy:
- plain liquid cow’s milk
- fresh, frozen, and tinned fruit and vegetables
- fresh, dried, and tinned pulses
- infant formula milk based on cow’s milk
You can also use your card to collect:
- Healthy Start vitamins – these support you during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- vitamin drops for babies and young children – these are suitable from birth to 4 years old
You can apply for the Healthy Start Vouchers here: https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/apply-for-healthy-start/
Lewisham Warm Hubs
- During Winter 2022/23, with the cost of living crisis, many community groups offered spaces where people could pop in free of charge and keep warm. Many of the spaces continue as community hubs, but now winter is over some of them may close, so always contact them to check for any changes before you travel.
- Check the Warm Welcomes map to find your nearest space and get more information. Please check each listing for an overview of opening times and services provided. Other terms also being used include: Winter Welcomes, Warm Spaces – https://www.lewishamlocal.com/lewisham-warm-spaces/
- All welcomes are different, some may be providing hot drinks, others may be providing hot food, others may be providing social activities and additional support.
- Lewisham Council’s libraries were also open as Warm Welcomes. Check the Council’s website to find your nearest library and see their opening times – https://lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/libraries
Website: www. lewishamlocal.com/lewisham-warm-spaces
Please note that our team update these factsheets on a quarterly basis. If you would like to suggest any updates, corrections or comments then please contact us at CommunityConnections@ageuklands.org.uk
Not found what you’re looking for? Call us on 0330 058 3464 and we’ll be happy to help.
Date of last update: 12th April 2023